In the body, acetyl-L-carnitine is made from L-carnitine. It can also be converted to L-carnitine. L-carnitine is an amino acid (a building block for proteins) that is naturally produced in the body. It helps produce energy. Although it is an amino acid, L-carnitine is not used to make proteins.
In supplement form Acetyl L-Carnitine is possibly effective for:
- Improving memory problems in elderly people.
- Tiredness in older people
- Low levels of testosterone due to aging
- Alcohol withdrawal.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Poor blood flow to the brain.
- Thinking problems
- Nerve damage caused by diabetes.
- Poor brain function in people with liver failure (hepatic encephalopathy).
- Male infertility.
- Peyronie’s disease, a connective tissue disease in men
- Reducing nerve pain (neuropathy) caused by chemotherapy.